Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Erosion of Choice

So I saw a commercial today for Dish Network.  You can now watch shows you've recorded "anywhere" - they mentioned mobile devices, and computers specifically.  This got me thinking, what happens to people who don't have to choose any more?  What happens when you can have your cake and eat it too?  Does the cake still taste as good?  I can eat lunch in a restaurant, and watch American Pickers or ride a train and watch Hoarders.  I can drive a car and watch The Big Bang Theory, but I won't be driving for long.  I don't have to wait for anything.  If I had an X-Box, I can also play X-Box Live on a mobile device.  The world can be my oyster if I want - if constant occupation is my mollusk of choice and idle reflection or conversation are not.  I suppose it all depends on how or by what one wants their mind occupied. 

Not having to choose can make us forget how to do it - and in the end, can cause us to make no choices or worse, bad choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment